Do you want to receive email updates whenever there's a new post? Enter your email here!

Wednesday, April 1, 2020

The new normal


Pandemic.  Covid 19.  Social and/or physical distancing.  The stalled economy.  I have no new or creative thoughts to share on these topics.  That being said, I encourage anyone reading this to look elsewhere for public health guidance.  Some reflections from a different zip code and different quadrant of craziness might offer some needed distraction.

At some point along the way, I started to give up on realistic expectations of finding a job I genuinely cared about.  That is starting to change.  This job and this place are really taking a hold of me.

At some other point along the way, the umpteenth unexpected twist caused me to stop trying to predict what might come next.  I intend to keep operating under that plan.

I have now lived in four places.  Every new place and new experience, to varying extents, throws a new light on each and every one that came before.  As a result, the days consist of new challenges, successes, setbacks, failures, exhausted frustration, exhausted elation, and stunned, appreciative wonder at the fact that all of this is happening.  I can say with confidence that I feel good about what I do every day.  A more self-evident why animates me and pushes me to surmount the next obstacle.  The concerns of today suffice for the moment.

The human race faces a new challenge that appears to have neither a quick, comfortable nor convenient solution.  We just cannot seem to whip out a new gadget that alleviates the discomfort.  We can measure the gravity of this situation in quantities of lives lost or not lost.  Just when people might normally turn to God to save us from a threat we cannot seem to defeat, churches are closed.  The problem is pervasive, deadly and complex.

I have no public health advice to offer.  I am thankful for my health and for this opportunity to do something equal parts challenging and worthwhile.  For today, that is all that I can do.


No comments:

Post a Comment